Motorsport is perceived as a male dominated industry mostly due to the fact that the majority of high profile positions in the top tiers of the industry that are televised worldwide are men.
Although women are now starting to move into higher positions in the sport, most of the women involved are very much behind the scenes or overlooked all together. And there are just as many female motorsport fans as there are men, who don’t participate as much as they should due to intimidation.
There are many women involved in motorsport, especially on the operations side, especially in Asia, as well as more young drivers in the region.
With this ever-increasing population of women in the industry there is an opportunity to service the needs and build a community of women in motorsport to promote their contribution and give support to their efforts and successes.
The Asia Women in Motorsport Association is open to all women who work or are involved in other ways in the Asian motorsport industry, and female fans of motorsport from the general public.
The objectives of the association are:
- To promote the interests of motor sport generally.
- To celebrate women’s contributions to motor sport.
- To further the interests of women in the industry across all areas.
- To be a networking and mentoring platform.
- To be an easily accessible resource for women currently in the industry, or looking to get involved.
These objectives will be achieved through:
- Building the AWIMA community using social media, website, and active participation at local race meetings.
- Management of a website as a resource on all news, topics, issues pertaining to women in motorsport.
- Active promotion of women in motorsport through cyberspace, other media platforms and on-track/off-track activities.
- Regular meetings of members to discuss issues, brainstorm, develop and launch initiatives to promote and support women in motorsport.
- Regular events to promote women in motorsport and raise the profile and fund raising for AWIMA.
- Contribute to Asian motorsport through on-track/off-track activities.
- Establish AWIMA as a prominent force in the Asian motorsport industry.
- Celebrate the successes of women in motorsport with awards and special recognition.
We need all the help we can get build AWIMA, so if you would like to be a part of growing AWIMA and contribute, please use the sign-up form below.