Martin Rump (21) of Champion Racing Team will start from pole in Round 1 of the 2016 Audi R8 LMS Cup after clocking the fastest time in Saturday’s Superpole shootout. Joining Rump on the front row at the Shanghai International Circuit on Sunday is KCMG’s Yuichi Nakayama (24). “Congrats to Martin Rump. Tomorrow, I will win,” said Yuichi.
“I’m absolutely delighted with how the qualifying turned out,” said Rump. “With a new car to get used to, it was a lot to learn on the very first go. This is a big step forward for me and an exciting challenge. I’m looking forward to sharing the line-up with such great drivers this season.”
Rahel Frey (30) of Castrol Racing Team was third quickest in the session ahead of Belgian driver Alessio Picariello (22) of MGT Team by Absolute.
With Rump, Nakayama and Picariello, three of the top four drivers are young, new series additions, shaking up the order.
Defending champion Alex Yoong (39) and 2015 season runner-up Cheng Congfu (31) will be starting from eighth and tenth on the grid respectively after a difficult day in wet conditions.
“I had a procedural error when I went out,” said Alex Yoong. “I didn’t realise the ABS was switched off. In the first turn I flat-spotted my tyres. Qualifying in eighth place means I will have a lot more work to do tomorrow but we’ll keep pushing on.”
“The new additions have proved their strength and really made a difference,” said Rene Koneberg, Director of Audi Sport customer racing Asia. “We are delighted to have such a competitive line-up with a large collection of young talent.”
Audi Sport TT Cup 2015 champion Jan Kisiel (21) qualified in seventh, further proving the credentials of the Cup’s new young drivers. In addition, the qualifying sessions saw 16-year old Cup debutante Jasper Thong from Hong Kong become the youngest driver in Audi R8 LMS Cup history.
Rounds 1 & 2 take place tomorrow at the Shanghai International Circuit. Fans can watch both races live on the Audi R8 LMS Cup official website, www.audi-motorsport.com and on series partner video portals LeSports, PPTV and Youku at 10:05 and 15:25 (UTC+8).
Starting Grid for Round 1
- 18/Martin RUMP/Champion Racing Team
- 19/Yuichi NAKAYAMA/ KCMG
- 66/Rahel FREY/Castrol Racing Team
- 6/Alessio PICARIELLO/ MGT Team by Absolute
- 88/Marchy LEE/Audi Hong Kong
- 8/Aditya PATEL/Team Audi R8 LMS Cup
- 43/Jan KISIEL/KCMG
- 1/Alex YOONG/Audi TEDA Racing Team
- 11/Kyong-Ouk YOU/Team Audi Korea
- 99/Cheng Congfu (Franky)/FAW-VW Audi Racing Team
- 51/Johnson HUANG/Absolute Racing
- 7/Jeffrey LEE/ Team Audi Volkwagen Taiwan
- 17/Mark CHUNG/J-Fly Racing by Absolute
- 55/Vincent FLOIRENDO/EN Sport by Absolute
- 26/THONG Wei Heen (Jasper)/Phoenix Racing Asia
- 13/SUN Jing Zu/Absolute Racing
- 38/YOON Sanghwi (Rick)/Phoenix Racing Asia
- 15/Chun Hua CHEN (Kevin)/J-Fly Racing by Absolute